Modular building for Coleg Llandrillo
Project: New two-storey modular building – offices and exam accommodation with a BREEAM Excellent rating
Client: Coleg Llandrillo, Rhos-On-Sea, Colwyn Bay,Wales
External finishes: T&G ThermoWood Rainscreen Cladding
Contract value: £1.2 million + VAT
At Extraspace Solutions we are experts in meeting the building needs of the education sector, completing projects with minimal disruption and maximum safety.
Extraspace was principal contractor on this project in Wales, putting together a comprehensive design team for a new modular building with a high-quality, professional finish and excellent environmental performance rating.
The project brief for the modular construction, a new Finance and Registry Building for the college, included:
- Demolition of the existing exams centre (a temporary building)
- Ground works and construction of foundations
- New build cheme to provide office and exam room accommodation extending to circa 618m²
- Foul and surface water drainage and connection into the existing site services
- External services connections into the existing site provisions
A key requirement was to provide the college with a BREEAM Excellent Building.
BREEAM (BRE Environmental Assessment Method) is the leading and most widely used environmental assessment method for modern buildings. It sets the standard for best practice in sustainable design and has become the de facto measure used to describe a building’s environmental performance.
Extraspace’s design team achieved a design stage Excellent Rating (over 70%) for the new building.
BREEAM provides clients, developers, designers and others with:
- Market recognition for low environmental impact buildings
- Assurance that best environmental practice is incorporated into the building
- Inspiration to find innovative solutions that minimise environmental impact
- A benchmark that is higher than regulation
- A tool to help reduce running costs, improve working and living environments
- A standard that demonstrates progress towards corporate and organisational environmental objectives
Extraspace Solutions put together a comprehensive design team of:
- Architects – Hulme Upright Ltd
- Structural engineers – Roughan O’Donovan
- Mechanical and electrical consultants – S.I. Sealy
- BREEAM advisers – Clancy Consulting
- Mechanical and electrical contractors – Farebrother Ltd
- Fit-out contractor – Workplace Environments Ltd
- Civil contractor – R.W. Matthews Ltd
Contact Paul Tierney in Extraspace Solutions for more details on this project, telephone: +353 1 4673100